Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonita View Post
My BTLOS wheelset received in January 2024 had poor spoke tension variance (see separate thread). With my calibrated tensiometer, I've had to tension all spokes to within 5% variance. Also, the product images online do NOT match reality, particularly the bead retention ridge is absent on the actual rim, which makes these not ETRTO compliant, with potential associated issues during sudden flatting.
The cross section drawing of the hooked and hookless versions look the same, except for the hooks. I've got 3 sets of hookless that all have tight fitting shelf diameters and no spoke access holes, so no rim tape required. I can't imagine a rim without a properly sized shelf diameter working at all with tubeless, with or without hooks.

I assume that you're referring to the little bump up on the drawing. I've never seen an ETRTO definition of that area. BTLOS mentions it as a bead lock. I've never scrutinized mine that closely.

Last edited by Dave; 06-05-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:15 PM

Correct -- The bead retention ridge "B height" in case of sudden deflation it helps keep the bead on the shelf rather than slipping into the central valley. Image attached from my files, and I don't have the original site. ETRTO manual is copyrighted, and IIRC quite costly. At the risk of conflating bead retention ridge with TSS, the ridge can be seen in Zipp and Enve wheels:
https://wheelbuilder.com/zipp-303-fi...isc-brake-rim/

Schwalbe calls it a hump: https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tubeless...e-requirement/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I assume that you're referring to the little bump up on the drawing. I've never seen an ETRTO definition of that area. BTLOS mentions it as a bead lock. I've never scrutinized mine that closely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (22.1 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by Carbonita; 06-05-2024 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:40 AM

My rear tire was getting thin and I had a little cut self-seal yesterday, so I put a new rear tire on my hookless BTLOS wheel. That wheel had a bead lock bump, but it was more pronounced on one side. I placed the end of one of my machinist rules along the shelf to even see it. I wouldn't depend on something so tiny to be of much benefit. If feel or hear a puncture, I'm stopping immediately.

I got some new Pirelli P-Zero Road TLR tires for $55 each recently and put a 35mm on the rear. It measured 35mm wide on my 25mm IW hookless rim. I expect that it will stretch out to 36 after some use. Installation was easy.
Old 06-06-2024, 11:15 AM

Inconsistency in the manufacturing is an opportunity for learning. How much more effort does the bead on side with the ridge require to push into the center channel? The ETRTO tolerance is 621.95 ± 0.5 mm, so not much of a ridge is needed.

Found another image of the ETRTO manual:
https://bikerumor.com/insider-interv...or-road-bikes/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
That wheel had a bead lock bump, but it was more pronounced on one side. I placed the end of one of my machinist rules along the shelf to even see it.