Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2024, 11:37 AM
Sunshine

Sell a modernized 80's road bike complete? Sell just the frame?

Based on some recent posts, I think this is an exercise that multiple posters have gone thru recently- what to do with an older frame that you arent using much.

I have a Tange 1 road frame from 89 that was powdercoated and has a 2x11 105 drivetrain and some solid aluminum wheels. It also has a innicycle threadless conversion headset.

Its been my dedicated zwift trainer bike for a few years now and is in solid cosmetic and mechanical condition. A 27mm actual width tire is the widest it can take.
- Should I try to sell it complete locally?
- Should I tear it down and sell the frame and fork, and sell the headset? I really dont need the shifters or derailleurs...so I guess I can sell those for a small amount since they are 2x11 mechanical, or put em on one of the bikes my kids ride, even though they are happy with the 2x9 drivetrains they have?

Its a 63cm frame that has always been a touch too small, hence the spacer stack. Its a fun quick response geometry frame, but its redundant and really never used outside.
Maybe I try to sell it complete first, since thats the least effort.
I would have been a lot more confident even 2 years ago in saying the market to part out would be best, since 2x11 mechanical was still very common then.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:52 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

IMO, offer it both ways here in one post in classifieds, list a$k A and B, etc..
Old 05-24-2024, 11:56 AM

That is such an incredible color!

I think 2x11 stuff is great these days even if it's rim brake since you can use it for cable disc, which some folks like on commuters and beaters... or it's great for the average person looking for a bike.

Depending on your area, I wonder if your bike is best sold as something like a SS/FG and the 2x11 stuff separately. I don't think the 105 stuff is worth more than like 300-500 for the full kit depending on whether its the older 105 or R7000.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:25 PM

Are you asking what we think is the best way to make the most money?
Old 05-24-2024, 01:25 PM

You'll always recoup more $$ parting it out.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:04 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Are you asking what we think is the best way to make the most money?
I guess? Definitely a quasi-ramble without much of a point.
Yeah, I would be curious to hear what others are doing/have done with similar modernized older quality steel frames.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:18 PM

i recently built up a couple of old frames with the intent of selling them. i did it mostly to learn and for fun and to see if there was anything to net. i sourced a lot of the parts for basically free and then spent some money to make sure there were nice finishing touches.

i received messages here, on ebay, pinkbike, facebook... all people who said they loved the builds and just wanted to pay compliments and say they appreciated them.

i had a hard time breaking even. i could have split the builds, parted them out, and ended up a little ahead with some patience. but i didn't want to break them down.

maybe it was listing them going into fall when the market for anything bike seems to taper, but finally each sold locally after huge price drops. could well have been that they would have sold much quicker with easier gearing.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:09 PM

I think either way, it is going to be tough. A size 61 limits your audience to start. Once you say the bike is from the 80's - that will limit the price as well - no matter what is on it.

I say part it out.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:12 PM

I honestly don’t think you’d get that much for the frame/fork alone so I’d take a stab at complete bike first.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:54 PM

Separating it would yield more money. When I sold my wife's Serotta, I know I would have made more money by separating it. But I didn't want to go through the trouble. I effectively gave away a Record group.