Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Per Silca's instructions, 150-190 degrees fahrenheit
my crockpot says it gets between 160-180F on low setting.
Old Today, 11:53 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I kind of feel like you guys think you’re in an elite club cause you spend so much time on cobbling stuff together on your chain wax spiritual journey and now if Silca makes this too easy it’s threatening.

I mean it’s $100. Definitely a weird reaction with all the overpriced stuff we all gotta have here.
I thought the same thing, especially with the price of chains nowadays.
Old Today, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Yep. Everyone riding 10k+ bikes, $400 helmets, $4k groupsets, etc.
But a tool that costs more than something you can get a crap version of at Walmart, oh no!!!!
Old Today, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
But a tool that costs more than something you can get a crap version of at Walmart, oh no!!!!
I don't normally wear a helmet but when I do it is $50 specialized alignII helmet and my bike was about $2000 including the ultegra group set it came with.... and I thought I was splurging..
Old Today, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe in your world. I own several very nice bikes, all outfitted with used grupos and Lightweights that were purchased right (most with some minor issue that I addressed) and none of which I'm into for more than $2500.

I don't have any problem with what Silca is doing, but I've been waxing chains for 15yrs with nothing more than a Goodwill crockpot, Gulf paraffin, and a small bottle of M2O2. I use Wera hex keys because they're superior in function.

Josh does some VERY cool stuff, but the wax thing is way out in marginal gains land.
Old Today, 02:02 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that these silica wax stations have been selling quite well for them, so to the extent that there are critics saying that the product isn't worth it, that does not appear to be the broader reflection of the target market.
Old Today, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Maybe in your world. I own several very nice bikes, all outfitted with used grupos and Lightweights that were purchased right (most with some minor issue that I addressed) and none of which I'm into for more than $2500.

I don't have any problem with what Silca is doing, but I've been waxing chains for 15yrs with nothing more than a Goodwill crockpot, Gulf paraffin, and a small bottle of M2O2. I use Wera hex keys because they're superior in function.

Josh does some VERY cool stuff, but the wax thing is way out in marginal gains land.
A 1k bike would have gotten you from point A to point B just fine. Even a walmart bike. Just sayin.
Old Today, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post

Is there anything they sell that -isn't- way out in marginal gains land?
Seriously, a $20 floor pump works just as good as my silca pump. Don't think their allen wrenches are anything special.

Go look at the Production/Custom bike forums here on Paceline and tell me its just 'my' world where people spend more than they need to.
Old Today, 02:56 PM

Put me down as a fan for both of Silca's wax products (Super Secret Hot Melt and Drip). I actually find both products to be very cost effective. So little of the product is needed for each application that the initial purchase lasts literally for years. Chain lifespan is also considerably lengthened. For my use case (five bikes with waxed chains, hot wax intervals determined by riding conditions, drip wax used to "top off" the chain between hot waxings), the overall costs are lower than with previous drip lube products. The chains and bikes stay much cleaner, cutting down on maintenance time. And if the claims are true, I'm saving a few (single digit) watts on each ride. YMMV of course, but these products work well for me.

Greg
Old Today, 02:59 PM

Same, I have 4 bikes that are waxed. Bought 2 bags of wax 2 years ago and still have a full unopened bag with some leftover.
Old Today, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchourbreath View Post
Same, I have 4 bikes that are waxed. Bought 2 bags of wax 2 years ago and still have a full unopened bag with some leftover.
I have 2 bags of molten and one silca. It'll be a long time before I have to buy more!
I buy the multi packs of YBN re-usable links from Molten wax, so far have worked perfect with my DA 12 chain.
Old Today, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It comes down to paying more for no benefit, not the cost of the items themselves.

This reminds me of something that was discovered back in the days I was deep into cars. ARP was approached to make headstuds for a motor that was only available to import, if you're into cars at all, they're a fairly highly regarded bolt/fastener company in the US specific to engine hardware. They agreed, and everyone was excited to have an option instead of asking their friend in Japan to send them a set overseas.

One day, it was discovered that they could get the exact same item (same length, same diameter, same threadpitch) but under a different part number, for 1/4 the cost. But just because they were marketed for a much smaller market, the same item was marked up significantly.

I don't remember how long it was between the it was available to when it was discovered that you could order the same part, but everyone who had previously purchased at 4x the price definitely felt lied to.
Old Today, 04:05 PM

There is something about using a beautiful, artisan level tool. I would put some wrenches and pumps in that category. I wouldnt put wax pots in that category.
Old Today, 05:18 PM
Randomhead

I have a beautiful brass made in Turkey glue pot, nothing Silca sells is ever going to equal it. Can't fit a chain in the inner pot though. There are some interesting glue pot products out there that might work pretty well for wax.