Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Just put a deposit down on lease for a Polestar 2 with the recent Costco Rebate. Quite excited, liked the car a lot after the test drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I've driven the first gen polestar 2 and it was a great little car. Super handling and great fit and finish.(...)
For those not following along, the Polestar 2 is manufactured by Geely in China. It's a great car.
Old Today, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Agreed. It was worse than expected and makes me never want another hybrid. Great in the city but we’ve already been disappointed in the mountains of arizona with its performance.

I definitely agree that the weight and speeds impacted the mileage, but I am one of those rare birds that never speeds, cruise, when using it, was pegged to the speed limit. Interstate speeds for the vast majority were 70mph with earlier western bits at 75mph.
It's hard to imagine how you got that bad of mileage unless the car is seriously under-powered. We regularly road trip in our Pacifica Hybrid with a full-width roof box, 5 people in the vehicle, and 4 bikes on a hitch rack. It gets 30mpg highway loaded like that.
Old Today, 07:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Should’ve gotten the non hybrid sport model then. Same thing but a better engine.

I just drove from arizona to Tennessee in our accord hybrid, and it averaged 21.8mpg with a single bike hitch rack and Yakima coffin up top. Our previous car, an x3 bmw, did just slightly better with a less aerodynamic setup (bike up top plus coffin) and was a lot nicer inside the cabin. The battery of the accord hybrid was depleted for the majority of the drive so it sounded like a buzzy lawnmower revving all over the rpm range. The small 10gal. tank meant our range was about 150-175 miles before I needed to consider filling again. I’m buying a new car before I return in 6 weeks
COVID, none available anywhere..He was lucky to find the one he bought. Had to be black..part of the 'issue'.
Old Today, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Agreed. It was worse than expected and makes me never want another hybrid. Great in the city but we’ve already been disappointed in the mountains of arizona with its performance.

I definitely agree that the weight and speeds impacted the mileage, but I am one of those rare birds that never speeds, cruise, when using it, was pegged to the speed limit. Interstate speeds for the vast majority were 70mph with earlier western bits at 75mph.
Your experience does not relate to this test report: https://www.cars.com/articles/toyota...s-best-467707/

Real-world fuel economy: Both cars outperformed their EPA gas mileage estimates on our 200-mile real-world fuel-economy route, but the Camry Hybrid was a little bit more efficient than the Accord Hybrid, with a trip computer and pump average of 52.6 mpg versus the Accord’s 51.3 mpg.
Old Today, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Your experience does not relate to this test report: https://www.cars.com/articles/toyota...s-best-467707/

Real-world fuel economy: Both cars outperformed their EPA gas mileage estimates on our 200-mile real-world fuel-economy route, but the Camry Hybrid was a little bit more efficient than the Accord Hybrid, with a trip computer and pump average of 52.6 mpg versus the Accord’s 51.3 mpg.
Apples to oranges. My car as already mentioned had a Yakima coffin on top plus a one up single bike rack on the hitch with a bike on it. The trunk was loaded completely full as was the coffin and the car had two adults and one small kid plus a 45lb dog and small cat.

Reading others experiences recently online it tracks quite closely. TLDR for this car is great for city (we are back to low 40s in slow driving rural TN) but not a great choice for extended highway driving at high speed. Our touring model gets 36mpg in our normal driving conditions of mixed highway and city in Arizona which also tracks to others experience.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; Today at 09:40 AM.
Old Today, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Apples to oranges. My car as already mentioned had a Yakima coffin on top plus a one up single bike rack on the hitch with a bike on it. The trunk was loaded completely full as was the coffin and the car had two adults and one small kid plus a 45lb dog and small cat.

Reading others experiences recently online it tracks quite closely. TLDR for this car is great for city (we are back to low 40s in slow driving rural TN) but not a great choice for extended highway driving at high speed. Our touring model gets 36mpg in our normal driving conditions of mixed highway and city in Arizona which also tracks to others experience.
If I did all that to my 50 mpg Prius, I would get dismal mileage too, or drove it with my foot mashing the gas pedal all the time. Your experience is an outlier, and is not typical at all of the mpg performance of that vehicle.

Last edited by MikeD; Today at 11:20 AM.