Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
thanks for all the responses!

As the OP, I haven't felt attacked by anyone on this thread yet.. there have been some folks who have some interesting thoughts, but I don't think there was any malice intended.. for the record, I have also, in the past, thought that folks can just "eat better".. and I could totally eat better and do more exercise for sure, and maybe that is the direction I go with this..

I will say that these meds are a great option for folks who have tried everything else and haven't success, for whatever reasons..

Thanks all!
If someone asks how they can get faster on the bike, one answer is "train more." Another answer is "quit your job." Obviously quitting your job doesn't directly make you faster, but it removes what for many is the largest impediment to training more.

Similarly, to lose weight, you have to "eat better." GLP-1 agonists work by removing what for many is the largest impediment to eating better (excess desire for unhealthy foods).

Many people can eat better without the help of GLP-1 agonists, just like many people can get up at 5am and get a good workout in before work. But it's hard, and even people who set out with that goal cannot always consistently achieve it.

At a population level, the introduction of these drugs seems to be the only thing that has broken our decades-long trend of increasing obesity. On an individual level, it's fine to try to lose weight without these drugs (I know I am), but statistically speaking, you're more likely to be successful if the drugs are an option compared to if they're not.