Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2024, 08:26 AM

One consideration that comes to mind just now, is it possible there is corrosion/metal degradation inside the chain stay, where the dropout inserts into the stay and is epoxied in place? There is no air exposure theoretically, but is it possible for the degradation to creep?
Old 05-24-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_davis View Post
One consideration that comes to mind just now, is it possible there is corrosion/metal degradation inside the chain stay, where the dropout inserts into the stay and is epoxied in place? There is no air exposure theoretically, but is it possible for the degradation to creep?
I think this is what Prototoast was suggesting above--and the reason why he suggested not riding as it. (I know the initial CT-1s also had some bonding problems...)

Not quite the same, but I know people were getting Alan frames rebonded--and I would think that the issue with these Colnagos has been addressed before, so that a competent repair shop would know what type of adhesive was used initially, how to get it apart, and a procedure for re-attaching. I'd contact some of the usual suspects to see if they have successfully done this repair before.