Old 03-23-2007, 05:34 AM

lotsa fiber.

Steel cut oats for breakfast...etc...

Milk thistle to assist your liver?

good luck. Hope it works out for you.
Old Today, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca View Post
I have been on Lipitor (10mg) for about 2 years now with no side effects. My cholesterol numbers were only slightly high, but both family history and the calcium scan put me in a high risk group, so I'm sticking with it even though I hate the idea.
Resurrecting this thread......

I recently had moderately high Ca-CT numbers and with a family history, but only moderate cholesterol levels. I was put on Lipitor a couple of months ago by 2 cardiologists who I really respect. My principal side effect is achy quads (feels like the soreness 2 days after a hard workout). But also, i) my RHR dropped from ~60 to closer to 55 bpm, ii) my distance vision, which is normally great, has gotten noticeably fuzzy, and iii) my ability to focus and think critically (e.g., for like data analysis and report writing, etc.) is also off somewhat. All this is not over the top bad, but this seems like a lot, and I'm starting to wonder if this is something I'm willing to evaluate for a longer period, or inquire about trying something else.

Any similar experiences? Thx...

Last edited by OtayBW; Today at 12:27 PM.
Old Today, 01:03 PM

I had such severe side effects from statins, I'm now on Repatha. No side effects and far more effective than a statin....for me. LDL mid 50's now. It's a tier 2 drug on my formulary and requires prior approval. (Tried Zetia, and it caused me severe constipation.)

Last edited by Ralph; Today at 01:11 PM.
Old Today, 01:10 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Resurrecting this thread......

I recently had moderately high Ca-CT numbers and with a family history, but only moderate cholesterol levels. I was put on Lipitor a couple of months ago by 2 cardiologists who I really respect. My principal side effect is achy quads (feels like the soreness 2 days after a hard workout). But also, i) my RHR dropped from ~60 to closer to 55 bpm, ii) my distance vision, which is normally great, has gotten noticeably fuzzy, and iii) my ability to focus and think critically (e.g., for like data analysis and report writing, etc.) is also off somewhat. All this is not over the top bad, but this seems like a lot, and I'm starting to wonder if this is something I'm willing to evaluate for a longer period, or inquire about trying something else.

Any similar experiences? Thx...
I've been taking simvastatin for a number of years now and the only side effects I seem to have is an occasional "hot flash" that i feel in my face/head.. usually goes away after 30-45 seconds.. I also started lisinopril for BP at the same time, so not sure it's a factor in that.. I recently have noticed a lower RHR as well, but have been on the statin way longer than lower RHR..
Old Today, 01:30 PM
Randomhead

I'm on crestor and haven't noticed any issues. I always heard about them though and that's why I took so long to try it. Same with BP meds. Both of these problems would go away if I lost the weight I should, so this might be part of why I'm different than a lot of people.

For whatever reason back when this was first posted, I was never allowed to register on here so maybe I shouldn't post this comment.
Old Today, 02:26 PM
Pack fill

I was diagnosed with high triglycerides (686) and immediately reduced carbs by about 75% and went on tricor. Had tight and painful back pain. Doc switched to simvistatin (Zocor) and all pain went away and triglycerides now hover around between 120-140
Old Today, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I had such severe side effects from statins, I'm now on Repatha. No side effects and far more effective than a statin....for me. LDL mid 50's now. It's a tier 2 drug on my formulary and requires prior approval. (Tried Zetia, and it caused me severe constipation.)
Yes, for anyone who has challenges with statins, Repatha (or Praluent) can be a very effective alternative. It cut my TC in half.

Ask your doctor.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old Today, 03:26 PM

I'm on a med called Ezetimibe, it's not a statin. I go back in a month to see how much good it's doing (high LDL only). I gotta be straight with you, if this doesn't work, I'll take my chances because the way all those statins made me feel, that ain't living.

BTW, I have no side effects that I'm aware of on the med I'm on now.
Old Today, 03:59 PM
cnighbor2

take

CoQ10 ultra by Qunol
Recommended by heart doctor to offset side effects Works for me
Charles
Old Today, 04:15 PM

I treid 7 oral, and had leg aching on every one. Then they tried Zetia, which caused anxiety/deprerssion.
Most recently tried Repatha which cause low grade headache and backache.

My numbers are only slightly elevated, but because I'm diabetic they want the LDL numbers as low as possible.

I'm gonna refuse to try anymore.
Old Today, 05:05 PM

Thanks for all of y'alls' info! I think I'm going to try the Qunol Ultra CoQ10 for starters and give that a try for a couple of months. The ratings that I've seen for this are through the roof positive. So, we'll see.
Old Today, 05:14 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

i’m on rovastatin or whatever it’s called for about 140 days now. cholesterol has dropped by fifty percent maybe more (i’m of eastern european descent and my people have always had high cholesterol…) and there are no side effects to report. my hdl levels are in the high 130 zone. to be honest, i’m not too concerned with any of these issues. but i succumbed to the statin thing because i was tired of listening to my health care provider and all her inane statistics.