Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
awesome. good karma points in the bank for you two. Best Paceline story in a while.
If PL had "Like" button, I'd bang it hard for this story!

Over the last several years, CPR has changed so that there's no more mouth to mouth breathing. Even if you've been trained for CPR, it's good to refresh your knowledge periodically.
Old Today, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
If PL had "Like" button, I'd bang it hard for this story!

Over the last several years, CPR has changed so that there's no more mouth to mouth breathing. Even if you've been trained for CPR, it's good to refresh your knowledge periodically.
It changes every couple of years. I recertified earlier this year and we practiced rescue breathing.
Old Today, 12:30 PM

No no on M2M rescue breathing. Open the airway, but don’t do mouth to mouth. Unless you have a BVM handy, don’t bother. We have a fair bit of O2 floating around and can get by without respirations for longer than you think, but if the blood isn’t moving, tissue dies quickly.

Re: pulses, if the person isn’t breathing, there’s a good chance they’re pulseless. Don’t dick around trying to make 100% certain they’re pulseless if apneic - start high-quality compressions. Starting chest squishies immediately is paramount to survival.

Bystander CPR saves lives, full stop. If we get on scene after an arrest and no one has been doing compressions, the chance we’ll get them back with any semblance of brain function is close to zero.

OP, you saved that guy’s life. EVERYONE should be CPR-certified.

source: 911 EMT
Old Today, 01:37 PM

I thought they'd gotten rid of the breathing too.. but there is so much conflicting information and it seems like they have reversed themselves over and over. It sounds like they have semi-reversed this lately?

Changing it IMO makes it harder for non-professionals to keep it all straight over the years.

If you have constant training & practice that's one thing, but if you're getting it every year or two or five it gets really confusing when they keep reversing what you learned the previous class.

I think it's been about 2 years since I took it and I think they had us do breathing on the dummies AND use the BVM.

Moot point with respect to the workplace course I took because after the class they issued us all BVM devices.
Old Today, 03:27 PM

IT used to be 15/2 and the PDF that was posted earlier said 30/2 so it is a bit confusing. I thought I had heard there was no more M2M anymore too.

Having said all this... Have you ever read what many doctors say about CPR?

Of course it's deferent if it happens to young people or in the case of the OP someone who might be a bit older but is physically fit.

https://www.utne.com/mind-and-body/d...-zm0z12mjzros/