View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Same as good antiques, may as well use them as firewood.

Clock collector (fortunately don't want to sell) market value for all except 2 are far less than I was hoping for in retirement.
market for antiques has just fallen through the floor. Lots of good reasons for that. As someone that appreciates antiques, I hate to see it. But I don't want to own any more either.
A relative needs money and wanted us to sell a family heirloom clock, 150 year old Seth Thomas (yes, sold in Walmart originally). It was an antique when it was given as a wedding present in 1934. Pretty cool to have something that old, I think it's the oldest antique I have held in my hands. I went looking for how much to ask for it, and the prices are all over the place. I saw an auction result for $5k, and some for $750. best offer we got for it was $200 so we still have it.

Bikes are the same way right now. The bike market is a bit soft anyway, so if a bike is out of style, it's not worth anything. I don't see skinny tire rim brake road bikes making a comeback any time soon. on edit: I went and looked at the bike. The real problem is that the chain needs to be on the big chain ring in the pics. Had you but done that to begin with, it would have sold.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-04-2019 at 09:45 PM.