View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 08:57 AM

Mark, how special are these Sugino chainrings? Peter White's site shows TA Zephyr rings that are 110 BCD for the middle position of a triple, from 34T to 46T, in one tooth increments at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
From what I can tell from the photos, it appears that these spiders are designed to use Sugino's OX series Compact+ chainrings. If so, then the direct answer to your question is that both chainrings mount to the inner face of the spider, just like the middle and inner chainrings of a 110/74 triple. The outer chainring of Sugino's OX chainrings are similar to a 110/74 middle chainring. You could use an ordinary 110/74 middle chainring as an outer chainring on this spider, but 110/74 middle chainrings are typically only available in smaller sizes (34 - 38 teeth), so Sugino makes their OX chainrings in larger sizes (up to 52 teeth), and have added anti-chain-jam pins.

I had seen photos of the Engin spider before and was very interested in it, but I had heard that they were only available on complete bikes. If they are now available separately, I'll definitely be in line to get one.