View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
there is some excellent info disseminated in this thread, linked with the one i started a few months ago here:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ht=big+waiting

Though, the lengths of the threads and the paragraphs in those threads only proves the issue - more and more people are interested in non "standard" (53/39 or 50/34) gearing these days, and these home brew solutions are cumbersome at best. scouring the internet and UK suppliers for suitable parts may be OK for us bike nerds, but too cumbersome for most people to want to bother with.

i'm reasonably certain that shimano and/or sram will see the light and offer some expanded gear ratio offerings (at the chainrings, not just the cassette) soon.

please, and thank you!
The average person walking into a bike shop in the US would have a hard time telling you how many gears their bike has. Most would shrug and ....guess.

If they do know it is because they "always ride in 2 and 6 and sometimes 5 or 7" Many never shift the chainrings...ever. "Can you just shift it into that gear you mentioned"

1X is a dream for millions of people. Countless numbers of customers when I was at the shop commented on how they wanted their bike to be 1X and then ask "how much to convert mine" They of course then just get a tune-up and say they will think about that for their next bike. That bike will come in a few years or many many more.

$400-$700 bikes should all be 1X or internal. That said, the bigger problem is the lack of time and education shops spend to make sure their customer who just bought a bike from them is versed in how to adjust it, maintain it and operate it as intended.

Bikes are impossible.