View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
its winter...

so...after a 14 year hiatus, i dusted off my racquets and signed up for some group court-time with instructor feeding us balls in various drills. i searched the forum and didnt see any dedicated threads on tennis, but did see related threads and there are more than a few paceliners who play...veloduffer, spacemen, gooner, vt, dj...

who else plays?

and since we're all equipment geeks...here are my sticks...my tennis is a product of the early 80s...so i'm all about flexible, thin-beam, low-power racquets:
I play tennis 2-3x per week throughout the year. It consists mostly of 1.5 hr lessons with 3 or 4 similar level players (NRTP 4-4.5) doing a lot of hitting drills and games to improve consistency. It's a great workout that I can do after work at night. I play doubles about every other week with a group that has court time.

I took a 12-yr long hiatus after shoulder (rotator cuff) problems (plus getting hooked on golf) and started again after my son became interested. From an equipment point it was bewildering how many new brands and strings there were. Like many have posted, my early days were Jack Kramer Pro Staff and Donnay (Borg model) wooden racquets. I think my first composite was a Head Arthur Ashe that was fiberglass sandwiched between two aluminum layers.

My last racquet before the hiatus was the Wilson Pro Staff Classic 95 that Stefan Edberg used. I used a big grip, 4 5/8 and strung my racquets very high like 58-60 lbs; broke strings like crazy (Gamma Gut and regular gut).

After going through several racquets - Head Extreme Pro IG, Babolat Pure Drive, Babolat Pure Strike, Head Speed Pro and now Head Extreme Tour - I've gone from thick beam, stiff, high-power racquets strung high to thin beam, low flex, low power racquets strung at 45-47 lbs. Plus the head size is now from 100 sq to 98 sq. I don't need help with power and the new racquets are starting be thinner, more flexible have more feel. The string pattern is more dense in the middle to provide better control and consistency on the face (less launch, catapult outside sweet spot); also better for a slice backhand (I use a two hand BH most of the time) and flat shots.

Like carbon bikes, the new polyester strings can be found in all shapes and stiffness. Current favs are Luxilon Alu Power Rough and Head Velocity- good shaped strings (for more spin) and maintains tension well.

I'm learning to play platform/paddle, which is popular at my racquet club. No interest in pickle ball, though- too sedate.