View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Im starting to wonder if the Hawks will ever be able to build a competent, middle of the road defense with Trae prominently involved. He is one of the 3 worst defenders in the league. PG isn’t the most important position for building a D, but they are going to require everyone else on the floor to be above average or better as long as he is a part of it.

COY seems to be about exceeding expectations, so I think Donovan and Nurse are still prominently in the running.

Philly could get swept out of the first round or win the Conf Finals and neither would be crazy. Same for Houston.

Some things I’ve been enjoying over the last 6 weeks or so- Westbrook remembering that he can’t and shouldn’t be shooting threes, the CP3-Schroeder-SGA lineup, Tatum making a real leap, Zion, the Clippers pretending like they have an on-off switch, the Cavs players successfully pulling off a mutiny.
In the Cavs defense, it sounds like Belein was doing his best Captain Bligh impression possible.

I think the competent D will come when they lessen the offensive burden on Trae and he can devote some energy and time on that end of the floor. If the comparo is Curry, even Curry isn't an elite defender. He's a pest and opportunistic in passing lanes and will occasionally pick someone's pocket, but he's not what makes the defense truly sing. Trae needs to start holding a defensive stance for longer than 2 seconds.

But he needs help and a coaching staff with a deeper sense of offensive execution beyond handing it to Trae. We'll see how this Capela thing works out.