View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph
...snipped.....
I go around the corner and there's a car in the middle of the road, trying to back into his driveway.
snipped.....

Now, this is guy was no threat. He was a 60ish guy (I'm 57), smaller, and definitely not fit. I had no problem approaching him, and I think he realized he pushed the envelope when he called me a faggot. I'm also about the least intimidating guy myself.
IMO that's a bad assumption on your part. For my own safety I always approach motorist as if they are armed. And in Texas a very large number are. Just because he is in his 60s and not fit doesn't mean he can't shoot you dead.

Funny thing is that the last time I had a similar encounter with a motorist it was I who was trying to back my van into the driveway so I could unload building materials, and a motorist got all bent out of shape because I was blocking the street in front of my house for a second or two, and reacted by angrily leaning on the horn. That escalated fast because I didn’t appreciate their aggression. I very much regret my reaction, but will bet they never do it again.