View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 PM

If you still want just a stereo integrated amp, then I'll add to the recommendations for NAD . It's affordable, simple, and has a good reputation. It's not the audiophile stuff but good quality consumer product. The have models at all price levels.

If you like to plan for future expansion, or just want the flexibility of being able to expand into surround sound and iPod/internet stuff and you don't want to get wild technically, then get a receiver; a separate amp and preamp will be very expensive.

I subscribe to Sound and Vision Magazine, which reviews lots of affordable products. It just so happens that in this month's issue (June-July-August) they review the Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver. It was awarded S+V's "Certified and Recommended" badge for highly rated products. For a MEASLY $400, it can do just about all of it; 4-HDMI jacks, iPhone/iPod playback, internet radio capable, and 5.1 channel sound. This thing would likely meet your needs and not break the bank. Get your hands on the issue at your local library. In fact, I always recommend scoping out back issues for anyone in the market for stereo/video equipment because S+V is geared toward the average to above average Joe/Josephine vs. the audiophile crowd.