View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 03:29 PM

It's going to be a trade off between time vs image quality vs sanity.

Some folks find scanning film "meditative", others like me hate it and would prefer to pay a shop and be okay with a halfway-decent quality scans instead of obsessing over every dust speck.

If you're DIY'ing, a dedicated film scanner will give better scans than a flatbed with trays, but takes longer and the film scanners usually require software that may not be compatible with recent versions of Windows. If you go the flatbed route, it's worth looking into some ANR glass trays to flatten the film.

Another option is calling up some boutique photo processors in your area and asking them how much they'd charge for a scan. Usually they'll just feed it through their Noritsu processor, which won't be as good as the film scanner or flatbed, but it saves you a lot of afternoons.

The final output you want should be at least ~3000 x 2000 pixels (some throw megapixels out there, others use vague terms like "HQ scans"). Places will upcharge for higher resolution even though it really just means changing a setting on the machine. If you have uncut rolls, they're much cheaper than scanning strips. I think $10 /uncut roll, or $2/image is a fair price if you go this route.

PS When all this is done, I would absolutely love to see these photos!