View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
Yep. What’s interesting is that it is being used by some people to compare their road fit with their mountain bikes fit, or to compare an older mountain bike with modern geometry. That’s where it falls apart – once head tube angles get slack enough, all of a sudden you don’t really have a choice but to be sitting further forward relative to the bottom bracket to be able to weight the front wheel in turns (and thus the steep seat tube angles you see on these bikes), and then all comparisons using stack and reach or a little more difficult to make, because you’re no longer using the BB as a reference point for where your saddle will go.
MTB is an interesting use case, the 'fit' is much more dynamic and overall, less critical. When I got a trail bike I fully relied on my buddy in the shop to size me for a bike, I had no idea - my inclinations as someone who predominantly rides road were at odds with the handling demands of a trail bike.

Agree with the point though, and it's the same with say a TT bike. You can't take your road fit and expect it to work on some other platform that has other demands and compromises.

But again, this is edge case stuff. If you're a punter in a bike shop comparing a Specialized Tarmac with a Giant TCR with a Cervelo R-something with a Cannondale Supersix... Stack/reach is absolutely brilliant for that purpose.