View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
How would you recommend delaying it as much as possible? I've tried to play around with the pre-infusion and delay btwn pre-infusion and extraction, but i don't think i'm getting anywhere.

Or perhaps a new Eureka Mignon or Ceado would solve my issues

The so-called golden rule is ~2oz (i.e., double shot) in ~20 secs with about ~19g coffee. (All are rough values). Lots of room for variation here, but this serves as a good place to begin.

To delay the blonding you have to find a different balance between three variables: amount of coffee, tamp pressure, fineness of grind as well as time of extraction. This, then, is a multi-variable equation in which the value of any variable is dependent on the values of the others.

So, assuming something around 20 secs. as constant (or 25, or whatever): If it is blonding before 20 secs, try either more tamp pressure or slightly more coffee or a slightly finer grind.

A digital scale will help you control for one variable (amount of coffee) so that you only have two to finagle with: tamp pressure and fineness. I would begin with these.

It is worth remembering that all this is to get something that tastes good to you. So find a solution that pleases you. Then you might explore the edges of that solution to see if something tastes better.