View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Well, one out of three isn't too bad…
Grease on bolt threads, check, but not around washers (does that mean a dab on the interior of the crank where the washer sits against it?).

I put grease on the spindle thinking it would ease seating of the crank arm, knew I should have checked in with OP first. How serious of a mistake is that? I.e., am I better off removing, drying the spindle, and reinstalling?

Unfortunately, it seems that the threads on the interior of the drive side crank have been mangled slightly so I can't get the cover to thread in smoothly, and I assume that's not correctable so I'm going sans caps.

Thanks all.
Yup, or on the washer outside so bolt can turn easily against washer when torquing on that dry spindle.

Did you use a torque wrench? Each time you take off and put on, the aluminum crank flats 'stretch a little. If you torqued to that 30 ft-lbs, I'd leave them on.

Because the threads are buggered, you may cross thread a crank puller so I'd leave it alone..you may look for a thread chase tool to clean those up before you take the crank off.

Altho caps look nice, if crank on tight enough, no need for cap..it was there to keep crank on if you loosened a crank bolt..C Record cranks(and CDA) had self extractors and were left threaded...so....

Bicycle research tool..the one I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0269.jpg (8.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-11-2019 at 07:14 AM.