View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 11:27 PM

Trust me, implementing this in Oregon isn't going well. Not without controversy, not without a lack of understanding from city planners how to implement so the market will actually build as intended, and definitely not quickly.

I serve on a statewide committee (I think 46 members) trying to write rules for implementing elements of this, mainly the climate change, transportation, and equity elements. We will probably take about a year longer in this effort than originally planned.

Here's a local op-ed published two weeks ago, written by a friend (not that I necessarily fully agree with all of his points . . . hint, I don't). I'm pointing this op-ed out because it generated enough feedback that the paper published an entire web page dedicated to the responses, 16 posted so far, plus this one that got it's own page.

To reiterate something I alluded to above, everyone on the rulemaking committee, regardless of what perspective they come from, is skeptical that the market will produce the intended outcome.