Thread: OT: Car audio
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 09:53 AM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
great. yea, alpine has always been pretty solid i think.

i'm surprised how the cost of car audio seems to have come down. i'm looking at crutchfield, since they will supply all the correct dash adapters, wiring harness, etc and the cost for a decent head unit and two sets of decent speakers is under 300 for sure. that seems cheap compared to what it used to be?
Which model Jeep do you have?

What you're describing is exactly what I did with our old 2004 Wrangler that we use for fun. I picked up one of the higher-powered "digital media" receivers on sale for like $70, and four pretty efficient Polk Audio speakers for something similar per pair. So my total cost was closer to $200 than $300, and I've been pretty happy with what I got for what I paid. The Crutchfield kits make the install a relative breeze too.

Now, compared to the mega-watt, multi-amp, high-end multi-$K systems I've had in some previous cars, this has "no bass". But again, it was like two hundred bucks and a couple hours of my time (max). I also don't worry about leaving it parked in the parking lot with the top off. And for this vehicle especially, I don't miss having a CD player at all. I can "hear" the music while driving on the highway with the windows down or the top off, as much as I can hear anything in this rolling billboard of wind-whipped fun. And a BIG improvement over the stock head unit & crapped-out speakers.

Last edited by woolly; 02-15-2019 at 10:00 AM.