View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
there is some excellent info disseminated in this thread, linked with the one i started a few months ago here:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ht=big+waiting

Though, the lengths of the threads and the paragraphs in those threads only proves the issue - more and more people are interested in non "standard" (53/39 or 50/34) gearing these days, and these home brew solutions are cumbersome at best. scouring the internet and UK suppliers for suitable parts may be OK for us bike nerds, but too cumbersome for most people to want to bother with.

i'm reasonably certain that shimano and/or sram will see the light and offer some expanded gear ratio offerings (at the chainrings, not just the cassette) soon.

please, and thank you!
All exacerbated if riding 177.5s and 180s. I fortunately found a used set of White Industries 180s a few years ago and have now decided a second set is warranted, but with used being so scarce and both new WI and Rene Herse solutions being so expensive I'm attempting a 177.5 SRAM S900 retrofit. If any one part (crank, spider, chainrings) has to be sourced new that'll pretty much blow the financial viability. Side benefit being the reasonable Q factor of these SRAM cranks vs WI.

I really do appreciate both threads, worst case scenario I run a less than ideal ring pairing until the right rings materialize. This GXP solution is my alpine swap for the Potts.

Last edited by donevwil; 03-21-2019 at 12:09 PM.