View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I know we have some firearm enthusiasts here so i thought that I, a bleeding heart liberal gun control advocate, would seek their advice. I hope we can avoid political complications (silly rabbit).

TL;DR: can you recommend a decent quality BB or pellet (not sure which is best) pistol for shooting but not killing rodents, especially squirrels?

I am at my wit's end with the squirrels and rats devastating our fruit trees. I don't mind sacrificing a nominal portion of the harvest to them but they seem determined to sample/ruin every damned piece of fruit.

I am contemplating purchasing a BB/pellet gun to provide a…stronger form of discouragement to the vermin. I don't want to kill them, rather deliver enough pain that they are unlikely to return. In the past I tried a plastic gun that shot ceramic pellets but it was unreliable.

I've never been in a gun shop or the gun section of a sporting goods store so I don't know what to look for.

Other advice for dealing with vermin is also welcome. We've tried putting cayenne pepper on the fruit but it was ineffective and some of the fruit is too high to make that strategy viable even if it worked.

thanks
One question, who’s been there the longest, you or the vermin?