View Single Post
Old 12-21-2019, 07:22 PM

I’m a native upstater who has spent most of my life here. A few thoughts:

- Homes are very affordable in most areas. You’ll pay more in the popular suburbs, but otherwise housing prices are surprisingly low.

- Taxes are ridiculously high. But coming from Westchester, they will seem reasonable.

- As you move north and west from the lower Hudson valley, snowfall amounts go up a lot. Here in Siberacuse, it’s 10 feet (on average) every winter. We have the infrastructure to handle the snow, but it makes for a long, grey winter. The nordic skiing, fat biking, and snowshoeing are great.

- As others have said, the riding is great. Road, MTB, and gravel are all available to suit your tastes. The aforementioned ridiculous taxes mean the paved roads are in generally great shape. Away from the cities, the roads are quiet and the drivers tend to be courteous. Many more friendly waves than angry middle fingers.

I’m happy to answer any specific questions. I grew up near Cooperstown and have lived in the Albany, Syracuse, and Rochester (Canandaigua) areas. Best combination of all riding was Canandaigua. Current home base is North Syracuse with a summer camp on Great Sacandaga Lake.

Greg