View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM

I miss cross country/ backcountry skiing. Very few consistent opportunities here in Maryland. If you plan any area telemarking I suggest getting full metal edges on a lighter ski that can be used also for touring. Also, heavier boots and bindings would be a good idea. It is hard to find a single ski that will do everything well, but light touring/ light telemarking skis are a good start.

As you noted waxless skis are best for wetter hard packing snows, but if you plan on any cold weather tours waxable skis are the way to go. Also with waxables you have the option of a stckier kick wax on the center of the ski with gliding wax on the tips and tails. There are lots of modern great options for whatever you decide to do. I just returned from a trip to Colorado, and rented nice telemark stuff for area skiing that i also used for a couple of backcountry tours. For this I used skins instead of wax so I didn't have to wax the rental skis. I also rented some waxless skis to ski tracks at a flat nordic center. It was all good, and lots of fun.........enjoy your new passion!