View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
bad chain suck in the rain and just always afraid of more chain suck every time I ride it. I messaged the OPEN guys and they did say a few people with 2X have that problem, specially with ultegra groups (not surprised as its the most common 2x group on the OPEN).

I have campy Potenza on the bike, Easton Crank up front. I have tried multiple cranks, multiple cassettes, chains and eventually it does happen. They said its a problem with chainline and road group that causes it...
This doesn't answer your question because I can't. But I'm also a bit suspicious of the chainline explanation. Easton's stated chainline for the 2x EC90 crankset is 45mm. The R8000 stated chainline is 43.5mm. The GRX 810 crankset's stated chainline is 46.9mm. You'd have 2mm difference. Is that so much? There would be at least 3.5mm difference relative to a Shimano road group, or to a stock road Potenza crankset (I think Potenza should have a disc optimized crankset with +2.5mm or so chainline). (Note: this doesn't jive with reports that the GRX groups have their chainline offset +2.5mm from Shimano's road stuff!?)

Either way, I am skeptical that the chainline is the issue. Maybe a chain catcher? I just threw one K-Edge in the trash as it never really caught a dropped chain, but that one was designed during the 10s era, so a newer one might work better. Clutch RD would require moving off Campy at this point.