View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
Starting this because the last thread was more about how stylish or lack of stylishness re: the cranks and RD.

As a somewhat novice cycler (I need to be better at putting in as much miles as some of you) - how much better would the new 12-speed Campy groups be. The scenario is a typical SoCal canyon climb (chantry flat, CA-39, maybe GMR, Latigo Canyon), which is about ~15-30 miles each way, ~5-6% grade w/ the occasional 10%, with 2500-4000 ft climbing.

From The Google, people seem to think the smaller jumps would make things "easier". I am not sure I'd notice a difference from my current 11-speed 11-32/compact crank usual setup. For Chantry Flats, it's huff-puff-huff-puff-huff-puff. I suspect w/ 12 speed, it'll still be a similar huff to puff ratio....
'Better' is subjective. Levers more comfy(subjective), shifts smoothly, quickly..reliable(probably)...gearing choices are personal..

Compact/11-32, 11s and then Compact/11-32, 12s..nope, probably no difference, add a interior cog on 12s..still gotta push the pedals.