View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Everything is connected

Tough stuff...hang in there Keith.

I had a close friend from college attempt to take her own life (sleeping pills) and fortunately her Mother found her before it was too late. She had it all going for herself...intelligence, personality, job, appearance, etc. but it apparently wasn’t enough for her.

I happened to call my friend one evening for a casual chat and her Mother answered as usual. She still lived at home at the time, and her Mother told me that my friend wasn’t home and that she hadn’t been feeling well. She then asked if I would have any time to stop to visit her at a particular hospital, to which I replied “of course”. I assumed a bad flu, pneumonia...not a visit to a psychiatric ward as I found out when I inquired of her room at the hospital front desk. I later found out that her Mother was reaching out to all of her friends and making the same request. She couldn’t however bring up the subject of the suicide attempt as she couldn’t comprehend the fact that her daughter would do such a thing.

I went the next day and visited her at the hospital and I was completely unprepared for the news...dumbfounded actually, as I couldn’t process the fact that she had attempted suicide a little more than a week ago. The first few minutes in talking with her were so sad, but sadness was soon overcome by relief and happiness because she was finally able to share her story. She was truly taken aback by the outpouring of love from her friends and family. It was always there but she said that until she started recovery, she was unable to see it.

That was about 35 years ago and life has been good to her. Through counseling she has been able to deal with her emotional issues and with her family and personal relationships. Although she moved from the area long ago, I always look forward to her cards and notes and I am thinking kind thoughts about her as I type this.