View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
I know everything is sooooo easy from the couch, but I have to get this off my chest.

How do they decide on the placement of the padded barriers in cycling? Maybe it makes sense but I don't get it. Have you EVER seen a cyclist go straight, dead straight into a corner so that they hit the first 10 meters of barriers?

I haven't. I can only imagine that almost every crash is going to be slightly pre apex to 90+% exiting the corner... and the barriers barely cover the exit.... like 2 meters of the exit of a turn. Why not take all those dozens of first entry barrier pads and place them at the exit where they will be useful?

Does what I'm saying make sense? Or is it like this in all races for a reason I don't understand?
If I were to guess, some volunteer who has no experience riding bikes at race speed is told to "put up barriers on the corner" and they drive out to the corner and put barriers around the point where the road bends the most, without understanding the path that riders will take through it.

It really was a tragic injury that could have been greatly reduced if only the barriers had been positioned better.