View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 02:55 PM

I think what Peter is trying to say is that ride in a steel frame is no different than riding any other kind of frame. A frame makes up only a part of an overall bikes weight. The difference between a quality steel frame and a quality carbon frame in terms of weight is fairly insignificant compared to the overall weight of the bike. What I have found is that a steel frame bike will weigh 1 to 1 1/2 pounds more, which is not insignificant but doesn’t account for what you are describing.

I set my best times on my custom steel bike that weighs 19.5 lbs. I had a 15.5 carbon bike (Sarto) that was incredible but no faster than my Anderson

What I have found by far is one of the biggest differences in both actual and perceived riding qualities are the tires. A high-quality supple tire will pick up speed faster roll longer than a lower quality tire.

Fit certainly plays in here but I certainly would not go by what others think by looking at pictures you post. Not unless the picture was requested by an experienced fitter and was taken in the angle and position (s) the fitter requested. Even then, no substitute for being fitted by someone who knows what they’re doing. And that is a completely different rabbit hole you can disappear into.