View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 05:24 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Many people think that canvas/ leather trim bags are heavier than their nylon counterparts, but they are usually lighter. Just to give you an idea, the larger (tan) bag weighs 510 grams...The rack shown to allow it to be used on a bike without a dedicated rack weighs 210 grams...compare that with a similar nylon bag with some sort of a mounting system and you may be surprised. The dedicated rack mostly obscured but in the photo with the blue/gray bag weighs about 160 grams and is incredibly stiff and strong with three rigid mounting points. One huge advantage of these traditional bags is the system of overlapping flaps and elastic closures....They are really easy to overstuff, and that is a great feature this time of the year i.e last Saturday for me when I shel leg warmers, arm warmers, a vest, fingered gloves, a cycling hat, etc....The canvas bags are also more waterproof than any other material as shocking as that may be. The larger bag is about 6.25 liters and the smaller bag is about 4 liters. Both have lots of small pockets for organizing small things for quick access and as you can see the mounting is such that they don’t interfere with your hands in any position on the bars. Smart people had this stuff figured out a long time ago. Note...having raced most of my cycling life, I still try very hard to only carry the minimum and avoid using a bag...but at some point a bag of some kind becomes preferable to overstuffed jersey pockets or the point at which you just can’t carry anything else.
you probably also want a decaleur if you are using a traditional rando rack which adds to the weight.

for example the bag I posted (outershell) weights 270g and is 2.6L but can be expanded and fit almost 5L. So pretty much you have a bag that weights about what a rack weights.