View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhlen1980 View Post
I put mostly Potenza parts on my gravel bike earlier this year. I have about 5000 miles on them, including beating the sun at Kanza this year. I upgraded from a Shimano 105 5700 10-speed group that was just an absolute hunk of turd -- never could get the rear shifting right.

Overall I'm satisfied. I like the feel of the shifters much better -- they don't call them ergo for nothing. The shifting has been reliable and seems to do well under sub-optimal conditions, which is such an improvement over that finicky 105 group I was working with. I was leery of the thumb button shifter because I had an old Sora 8-speed group that was also absolute crap, but unlike the Sora the Campy thumb button works well and can be reached in the drops. Also I like to run 11-32 on my gravel bike and the Potenza is made for that.

The one nitpick I've had is that I broke an RD a few weeks ago when I was doing a little bushwhacking on a "road", a stick jumped up and got jammed between the cage and the chain and the RD snapped in two right at the housing surrounds the bolt that screws into the hanger.

Granted -- its possible that would have broken any derailleur, and I'm lucky that it snapped the RD itself instead of the hanger, I guess? At least it didn't cause any damage to the frame or my wheel. But it did seem like the sort of thing that I've encountered with other derailleurs that have survived.

My setup: Potenza shifters and rear derailleur. Shimano 105 Crank 50/34. 11-32 cassette. Shimano CX70 front derailleur (despite both Campy and by LBS insisting that it wouldn't work, it works flawlessly.) Tektro CR720 cantis.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. What did you replace your broken derailleur with?