View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 06:12 PM

I have had cats and dogs and cats and dogs at the same time and I loved them all but--- our small dogs are like having cats that come when we call them. :-)

My last 2 dogs before I met Leslie were a pointer and a Lab. The Lab was a much better pet because the pointer wouldn't stay home when we were away. A six foot fence was no challenge for her at all. My Lab was always happy to stay home with or without company.

When I met Les she had 2 bichon frises she got as puppies from a breeder. They were nice and cute and they lived to be 16 and 17 years old. No shedding and hypo-allergenic.

Then we got Eric from the pound at 4-5 years of age. He's a malti-poo and has been a wonderful family member right from the start with ZERO "accidents" in the house. He's ten years old will play fetch until my arm gets tired.

Annie was picked up wild, matted, flea-infested out in coyote country and no body knows how she wasn't eaten. She might be a shi-tzu with a too-long nose a havanese, or some mix with a maltese. She is more independent than Eric but evem MORE loving to everyone she meets. Unlike Eric, Annie does shed a little. She required a couple of months to learn that going into the music room was not the same as going outside. OTOH we don't know that she had ever been inside a home before she was rescued from the pound so that was really pretty good learning for an 11 month old puppy. Both dogs weigh 13-14 pounds

You might want to check with local rescue groups that specialize in the type/size dog you think you want. They usually get to know the dogs they rescue and can help you get a dog that will fit in with your family. When you go to the pound and have no previous experience with dogs you might make a sub-optimum choice.

It takes a pretty big kid to control a 50 pound dog which might have a mind of its own so some thing 20 pounds or less may be a good idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47n8rwqcy2fso2axob1znwj89xtwux8g-res960.jpg (35.8 KB, 172 views)