View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
My son has put over $6000 in his Element over the past two years. That's with me doing about 1/2 of the work on it myself to save him labor costs. And we had it gone over with a fine tooth comb by the dealer before buying it used and fixed what was found. I don't know why everyone brags about Honda's as this is the biggest POS anyone in my family has owned. I mean the starter went bad and at first I was like, no problem. Two or three bolts, unplug, pull off, and replace. 30 minutes top, right? NOPE! Honda is so brilliant they bury the starter inside the intake manifold for the car. It's a special kind of engineer that thinks that's a good idea. BMW's on the other hand are a cinch to work on in my experience over the years. And when you replace something it stays fixed. I wish the Element was the same way. Multiple VNT solenoids, rear struts blown again, ignition switch, etc, etc. Sad thing is I love the concept behind the Element and wanted one for myself until our experience with them.

Just thought I'd put out that opposing view.
I had a 2010 Element. Loved the concept....hated the car also. In my case....couldn't ever get comfortable. Seat belt came out of the top of the seat.....not the pillar. Terrible design.

I'm not knocking any BMW. Just saying you will spend more to maintain them. But you get driving satisfaction. Good trade off for some, not for others. One has to make that decision for himself.

Some on here are talking about the ownership of vehicles 15-20 years old. Not very pertinent to newer vehicles of any make.

Last edited by Ralph; 12-07-2019 at 05:45 PM.