View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 07:25 AM

France!

I've traveled occasionally to France with my Breakaway - I have family who live just outside Paris. For some fantastic riding in/near Paris, there is an extensive network of paths/trails/connecting roads near St. Germain en Laye, which if I recall, is easily accessible by RER from downtown Paris. And when you run out of those paths, you connect easily to some wonderful small country roads in the towns/exurbs out there. If memory serves me right, a stage of Paris-Nice went through this area this year or the year before. My Breakaway is set up with 32c Conti Gatorskins...there are some great farm roads that serves as connectors to pavement that you want to take advantage of. Consider having wide enough rubber that allows for such exploration. I never felt the need to have aggressive knobbies of any sort though. 28c road tires would probably suffice.

If your itinerary allows it, try to get some time to hit some of the epic climbs. Ventoux is a must (IMO) and others will weigh in on favorite climbs in the Alps and Pyrennes. 36/52 and 11/28 has worked for me in the past.

Have fun.