View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 11:02 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
- He says disc wheels are heavier. It is the opposite; when you don't have to rely on the rim for braking, the wheels can be made lighter.

To me, the biggest benefit of disc brakes is that it allows running very large tires in the frame. The Specialized Cruxs of the world wouldn't exist on rim brakes.
Disc wheels do tend to be heavier. That doesnt mean they must be heavier, but they sure tend to be heavier. Take a typical wheelset for disc and rim bikes at pricepoints of $1500, $3000, and $5000- I really doubt you will find the disc wheels to be lighter.
BTLOS WRC-35 and WGX35 wheels pretty much show this. And honestly, I think the difference in weight is the front wheel of the rim brake set is 20h instead of 24h as 20h isnt even an option in disc. Regardless, the rim brake wheelset weighs less...though it is effectively a wash in my eyes.
Point is, you dont see crazy light disc wheelsets out there at most OE spec'd price points, and when you do see one, a rim wheelset would have been just as light at that pricepoint.

Why wouldnt a Crux exist without disc brakes? It would have canti posts and use cantilever, mini-V, or V-brakes.