View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
22 years ago, I took my future wife on a scenic mtb ride that was about 40ish miles of ridge riding with a pretty severe climb out before the ride home. My chain broke on the first step, and she was impressed when I pulled out my mini breaker and got us riding in under 5 minutes. My chain broke 4 more times... by the time we got out I had 5 of my 8 gears left from shortening the chain, and my future wife laughing out loud.

One can't have too many links, imho. Fill me up a drawer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Wha?? Gotta ask what was going on on any chain that broke 5 times in one ride..1997....8s..pretty sophisticated by 1997..
well, I replaced the broken pin by cannibalizing a pin from the chain itself and then using that pin and the pin pusher to push it back in to repair the break.

as you pointed out in this thread, campy has clear reasons for its warning.

in my story, I should have made it clearer, for you, that it was my trailside wrenching, pushing those darn pins in, that lead to the subsequent failures of the chain.

and as implied by campy, even those of us that do this at a bench 'correctly', in this case, should not.

my wife was laughing, because all my chain-breaking and fixing was NOT working & failing again and again and again, but I refused to just walk home.

the reason the chain broke in the 1st place was because I had quads of pure American steel, and sophisticated or not, I wore stuff out.