View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
very nice

i've never seen an owl since I started, though I know that they are around, as one hoots quite often

out of curiosity, do you ever feel that you need more reach with a 300 mm lens?

I'm pretty sure that the woodpecker is a red bellied woodpecker. One has to really observe closely to see the small patch of red on belly of the bird.

I'd like to catch a glimpse of this fellow: the red-headed woodpecker. But they are quite rare

and I think you and @nighthawk are probably right that it's a red-tailed hawk. the bird was quite large. Also a bit funny that this is the only hawk i've observed since I started

nicely done (though i'd imagine schlepping 100 pounds of seed is no fun)

I kept on telling my partner that we'll get feeders set up one of these days. It's really cold here in Wisconsin, and I think the birds really do need it. Doesn't hurt that I may get a few chances to get that cardinal(s) in the snow shot that I really would like to take. Only downside is that we'll have to be really diligent at cleaning...
I have red headed woodpeckers here. I usually see them on utility poles along the road next to the timber. They don't come to the feeder like the other woodpeckers do, even though the feeder is within sight of where I see them.