View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedryvr
So cool to have true masters of the craft answering questions from the masses. Seriously, I learn something every time I log in here.
When I was looking for my last bike it was down to either a Seven, a Roark and a Hampsten/Moots ti (I didn't know much about Serotta then; knew about Hampsten, knew about Roark, but not Serotta...go figure). Seven and Roark made much to do about their beautifully sculpted chain stays, but somewhere in the back of my mind my undereducated brain just "felt" that the straighter, 7/8 in round stays of the Moots welded to Wright/Breezer drop outs were more "right". Glad to know that I guessed right. To my mind the idea of welding that round tube to the Breezer drop out would make the most difference. Never could figure out why you'd want to have a big pipe then taper it down to join to an obviously "flimsier" (probably a misuse of the term here) drop out. But then again, I'm a pilot, not a materials engineer. Love my Hampsten/Moots and its cool to find out one of the reasons why!

Shawn G.
You beat me to the punch....

In thinking about this thread, I had a good look at my Moots Vamoots and between what Obtuse and DK said, it truly looks like Moots just nailed it with their chainstays.

I remember reading somewhere where someone was "putting down" Moots by saying that they were a MTB company that makes a road bike now and again...Well, I am so glad that they took their design cues from the MTB world as they did a fine job on the Vamoots.

Steve