View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 09:45 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I think there is something that happens if you drive BMW/Mini long enough too and you need that context when someone says "no problems".

My dad also has a 3-series, I believe turbo 4 cylinder. He definitely drove like a maniac when he was younger but I don't think he does anymore.

In any case both my Mom's mini and my Dad's 3-series seemed to through brake pads and/or rotors about every 25k miles and they have never really though this was of any concern. To me that seems pretty ridiculous unless the car is getting pounded and going to the track or something, or is just an outrageous sports car.

I think they bought both cars used with very low mileage and got good deals and still had warranties and maintenance plans on them which helped but personally I can't stand the car having to go into the dealer extra and interrupt my schedule, even if I don't have to pay for it.

Still haven't even rode in the 2024 Mini but I will say it *looks* really cool both inside and out. A lot cooler than the old one.
It doesn't take "driving like a maniac" to blow through brake pads quickly. It takes tailgating, racing to red lights, and just general nervous and aggressive habits on the road I see every day. Back in the day of manual transmissions, ditto for clutches. My father taught me early how to preserve a car from needless and expensive shop work, and I'm happy he did.