View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Thought I'd share my experience here for the possible benefit of others. I finished the Chorus 12 build on my Pegoretti on 12/30, did a quick shakedown ride, then logged a nice 75 mile maiden voyage to end the year (and complete my Festive500). I’m very happy with the groupset based on this small sample, especially having chosen the subcompact and 11-32 option. Oodles of clearance with the calipers.

I did encounter a couple of hiccups:

I found that Campy’s guideline on chain length was not workable. With the Peg’s chain stay length I initially cut 4 links to use the prescribed 110 length, but no matter how I adjusted the height of the upper pulley, when in the 32-11 (small/small) position the chain rubbed on the guard below the upper pulley. I therefore removed two more links, and everything worked perfectly. (Note: as a result I had to resort to a SRAM Eagle link, which seems to be working very well.)

Older pads are not compatible with the new calipers; current Shimano-compatible pads are. At least one vendor's site (Swissstop) had incorrect information in this regard.

Otherwise, the build was straightforward. Pics in the gallery still to come.
-Chain length..the small-small method still works.
-Chorus calipers are made by Tektro and use shimano-esque pads..
Quote:
wondering if all 12 speed calipers are now shimano pads or just chorus. Campy already had some shimano pads on some calipers, usually the cheaper calipers like potenza for example.
Chorus and below brakes

Front der setup the same..
-Install fder at height called for, about 2-3mm, IMHO..and outer cage angle same as big ring(maybe a little tail out..more on that later).
-Adjust inner limit screw so chain just tickles inner cage when in small ring and biggest cog in back. .
-Pull cable TIGHT, while pushing down thumb button..secure fixing bolt.
-THEN turn inner limit screw out a wee bit..this gets the chain off the inner cage and makes cable TIGHT-no need for inline adjuster.
-Shift to smallest cog in back and slowly, shift LH shifter, one, two, three clcks, chain should go up to big ring.
-Adjust outer limit screw so it just touches the stop...not need to crank it down.
-Ensure the outer cage is parallel to chain..adjust angle if necessary..then back to lowest gear..might have to move inner limit a wee bit..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-04-2020 at 06:27 AM.