View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
This is likely the end all super cars for me. Perhaps it was released at the right time for my age group or perhaps its just the perfect super car but it just hasn't gotten any better since this. Only down hill imo .)
No picture but true story...

Friend and I both in our mid 20s went for a week of MTBing in Tuscany.
The F-40 just came out the year before and folks were paying up to$1.5M since it was so rare.
I'd never seen one in real life nor did I ever expect to see one (even a 1:18 Burago model of the F-40 was sold out and traded for insane amounts of money).

Doing some sight seeing in Florence, we walk up to a little church and there is this gorgeous F-40 parked right in the middle of the piazza, driver side door open, engine running...
Nobody there other than 2 ladies standing about 10 meters away talking to each other.
This might sound a little chauvinistic, but the F-40 was known for being a no-compromise and brute car, so we didn't even consider the possibility that one of those women might be the owner.
On the other hand, we are in a quieter part of a town where it's not unheard of cars being broken into or stolen, and there it is, one of the rarest and most expensive cars of all time, almost like an invitation waiting for some crook to take off with it.

Still confused, we walk up to check it out, drooling over the thing for a few minutes, when one of the 2 ladies, stereotypical Italian donna, middle aged, classy and good looking, approaches the car, smiles at us, climbs into the driver's seat, revs up the engine and drives away.

Still something that comes up when my buddy and I talk about our trips and the good old days...