View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
For the first time in seven CX bikes I can't tame the canti brake shudder/judder/chatter. I've done pretty much all of the list of things folks say you need to do: short brake blocks toed WAY in, canti brakes with the springs out front, no play on the posts, long drop cable hanger, REALLY tight headset...
From what I've gleaned, the stock Ritchey Swiss Cross fork is known for this. IMHO the carbon fork is too light and flexi.
I use this bike as my commuter and having the front brake go all "anti lock" while in traffic is way uncool. What forks are out there that are more stout or at least have a brake hole to mount a crown hanger? I had no problems at all on either of my Ridleys, which had 4ZA forks or my Raleigh Hodala which had an Enve fork. The others had steel forks. All of them I could do stoppies on without chatter.
I would like very much to stay with cantis, as I have never had a problem with them before this. I'll use V brakes if I have to ( I really don't like the feel) but I'd rather address the problem than put a band-aid on it. I'll use discs if someone wants to give me a new bike.
‘Mullet’ it with a v brake front. Some shorty ones from Tektro are only about $20.