View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I'm pretty convinced that this:

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/st...0vtUhiW-w&s=19

Is why we're trying to do something as stupid as waging an economic war with China, and threatening a military war. They are eating our lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
From the link:

"Why so popular? Its starting price is less than $30k (215,900 yuan) with a better performance (and a very similar design) than a Porsche Taycan, which costs north of $100k. You're essentially buying a top-of-the-range Porsche at Chevy bolt prices..."

Sounds like a lot of marketing BS to me, but if they can make and sell a $100k Porsche equivalent for $30k, let them have at it. I see no reason why we need to protect Porsche, Audi, or any other over-priced euro luxo-car brand.
Actually this is about Apple in my opinion. Xiaomi is a smartphone maker like Apple, and they just decided to copy apple and build a smart car. Unlike Apple who stopped, they completed it. The car was designed by Xiaomi, but just like Apple outsourced actual phone production to FoxConn, Xiaomi outsourced production to BAIC Group which is the Beijing Automotive, a state owned company. The part about building a car every 76 seconds is still BS, right now it is every 7.5 minutes but still good. Apple probably could not find a production partner outside of China which would make the car, and they rightly decided if they built the car in China, the US would tariff the **** out of it. (btw, Apple is shifting iphone production to india as fast as it can)

This is why the re-shoring effort is gathering steam in the US and so important to our economy going forward. It will be interesting to see what TSMC can actually accomplish at the FABS they are building in Arizona which are behind schedule. They broke ground on a FAB in Kyushu, Japan after the Arizona fab was already being built and that one is already starting production.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 04-26-2024 at 11:57 PM.