View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 07:16 AM

similar tastes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmill
It seems like I could put a mountain bike tire on the Poprad, for example, and it would still feel fast. This isn't a criticism of the Rambouillet: Maybe just a caveat that it's worth playing around with the tires a bit if that bike doesn't respond, because with the right tires it's a very worthy steed.
Interesting. I also own a Rambouillet (as noted above) and a Poprad. They both fill a sort of similar slot in my garage 'o bikes and there's definitely competition between them for riding time. Both are excellent all-rounder type bikes that can handle most everything, can take a range of tire sizes, are great on the road and pretty good off-road, are incredibly stable and great on descents. But the Poprad wins most of the time because, as you say, it FEELS faster, whether it actually is or not. I've put a rack on the Rambouillet and it seems to get more of the workhorse duty these days whereas the Poprad gets picked a LOT more often for the fun rides.

FWIW, the Poprad and my favorite road bike (an older spec Rivendell Road)have identical wheelbases, chainstay lengths, seat tube angles, and saddle and bar positions, so the weight distribution is EXACTLY the same. The bottom bracket drop is a bit more on the Riv, but quite low on both. The only substantial difference is that the Riv has a longer top tube and steeper steering geometry, so has a bit quicker and more responsive feel. The Poprad has a shorter top tube and more relaxed front end and is notably more stable and relaxed, particularly on rougher terrain. But both front wheels end up in exactly the same place relative to the bb, the rear wheel, and my body. This basic design seems to be dead on the sweet spot for me - true racers feel a bit to quick and squirrely and need more attention than I sometimes want to give them, while longer bikes like the Rambouillet just start to feel a bit slow and deliberate for my taste.

-Ray