View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
It may be the best descender I've ever ridden. I've even run into some of my faster friends while out on riding the Rambouillet and haven't been hurt TOO badly trying to hang with them. But I wouldn't call it a fast bike - it does feel like there's some penalty on the hills. Not a lot of snap or accelleration, but not bad for longer, steady-state climbs. I never choose it for group rides unless they going to be relentlessly relaxed and social.

-Ray
Yes, it's not a race bike... hence the slight lack of snap as you put it. However, the pound or so weight penalty over my Ti Rapid Tour isn't significant IMO.

I lead a so-called 'strenuous' (19 to 22 mph, flat, no wind) ride last Sunday on mine... 55 miles, 3000 ft of climbing and an average of 18.9 mph (excluding stops). 22mph is more like a minimum on the flat on these rides. I didn't have any problems keeping up, though I left one hill 'uncontested' as I waited for someone to pick themself up after not making it around a corner for some unknown reason (the fact that this rider already had a big dressing on his knee may have been a clue though).

It's really turning out into a good general purpose bike for me. I can do everything but race on it (not that I'm racing anyway these days).

Orin.