View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 10:29 AM

Yeah, pretty solid bike

I've had a Rambouillet since spring of 2002 - from either the first or second batch. I'd go along with the solid, stable, predictable feel. This makes this bike perfect for multi-day tours (supported or credit card loads - I wouldn't carry too much weight on it) where you know you're going to want that "auto-pilot" setting at some point. Also good for commuting and other weight bearing errand runs. I don't do rando events, but I'd imagine it would be perfect for this type of long distance riding. I guess the best description is that it rides somewhat like a touring bike, but unlike a true touring bike it rides better unloaded than loaded.

It may be the best descender I've ever ridden. I've even run into some of my faster friends while out on riding the Rambouillet and haven't been hurt TOO badly trying to hang with them. But I wouldn't call it a fast bike - it does feel like there's some penalty on the hills. Not a lot of snap or accelleration, but not bad for longer, steady-state climbs. I never choose it for group rides unless they going to be relentlessly relaxed and social.

I also find Roly Polys to be a really good match for this bike, and also don't like them any firmer than 100 psi (I weigh 160-165, for comparison sake). The frame feels faster with lighter, skinnier tires, but I have other bikes that feel better with racing wheels/tires, so I keep the Roly Polys on this one pretty much all the time.

-Ray