View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 11:54 AM

Ramboulliet review

I know that the Riv Ramboulliet has been lauded many times here on this board -- and, as a matter of fact, that is why I ended up with one recently. Also, Rivendell has come up on the "randonneuring" thread. So, for those of you who may have wondered, one man's experience (I have about 5 rides/150 miles on):

Mine is set up as a pretty standard road bike: 105 throughout, with a triple crank, Open Pro wheels with Ultegra hubs, nondescript Ritchey bars, and a no-name saddle. Rivendell Roly-Poly's as the tire. I will be adding fenders as soon as the weather turns for good. My first, and continuing, impression is of SOLIDITY. The bike is a 56, which is a bit larger than my Concours, and the feeling is of reassuring, settled bigness. This may be because it has a longer wheelbase than the Serotta and also a longer and higher front end. Though it weighs on the order of 3 pounds more than my Concours, the weight does not feel like a drag -- rather it comes across as strength. There may be a touch more flexibility in the BB (I get some chain rub, tho' that may be set-up), but the bike feels fast and does not have any disconcerting flexiness anywhere else at all. In automotive terms, it feels like a big European car, a 7-Series BMW or Audi 8. It is not as nimble as my Concours, and it is not light under me -- but I do not really feel like I give up any significant speed. On descents, it is rock-solid. On climbs, it settles in and rolls, and, when I stand, it responds -- not like a rocket but like a big car getting torqued up. There is a pleasing directness that is muted but there.

I have found that tire pressure is SIGNIFICANT. When the R-P's get pumped 110 and over, the ride turns harsh and the frame rattles and comes alive in a rather unpleasant way. At 100 lbs, the feel is of a steel glove in velvet -- strong, silky, and smooth. I was truly surprised at how little difference in pressure made so much difference in ride, but this is confirmed by my friend who tried it also. For reference, I am 170 nekkid.

My reactions may be different from others, but I thought -- individual as they are -- they might be helpful for those who are wondering. As I said, I have been reading about various other bikes on this board for quite a long time and I have been curious about whether I could/would notice or feel significant differences. The bottom line for me is -- I do. Not gigantic, but noticeable.

Bottom line: Concours = lighter, stiffer, sportier
Ramboulliet = calmer, bigger, more obviously beefy feel.
I like them both.