View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 10:57 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davison View Post
I'm going to continue to irritatingly use CFRP. The properties of the composite are not the same as the constituents, and I have noticed that the shortened form "carbon fiber" leads people to incorrect intuitions about the nature of the composite. For example, they believe that carbon fiber is inert, so that galvanic corrosion cannot occur in CFRP bicycles. They believe that carbon fibers are incredibly strong, so that a CFRP bicycle frame is inherently stronger than a steel one. They believe that CFRP cannot be sensitive to UV light exposure or chemical pollution, so CFRP frames should have an infinite shelf life, no matter how stored. Alas, the poor noble carbon fibers are embedded in lowly epoxy. Perhaps I should agree to call these composite frames "carbon fiber" half the time and "plastic" half the time.

I am purposely acting as a gadfly or devil's advocate in order to pull out comments from the real experts, as opposed to the CF fanboys.
You will continue to say 'cfrp'because when just 'cf' is used, people don't understand the material's limitations?
Bro, those same people won't suddenly understand the matrrial's limitations if you say 'cfrp'.

You saying 'cfrp' doesn't magically educate anyone on the material's capabilities and limitations. Based on your response, it seems like you think saying 'cfrp' will make a difference. Bless your heart. We all could type those 4 letters and it wouldn't make anyone more knowledgeable on the material.

Haha, keep tilting at windmills, I guess.