View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
yea, but when you think of any wealthy area, there are a ton of support functions that go along with that. there are bike mechanics, baristas, restaurant staff, car mechanics, and a host of other people who do not have the earning power of facebook tycoons, but still make a decent paycheck in the area, and they should be able to live in a reasonable proximity to their work, no?
There is that word "should" again It might be a noble goal, but I'm not sure how you accomplish it practically and fairly. Look at the issues that NYC faces with rent control apartments in an attempt to solve this same problem. It reminds me of a comic I once read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Well Matt, I think there might be a bit of disconnect going on here. I mean no disrespect, because you're one of my favorite writers on this site. But New Hampshire isn't the Bay Area. The stuff happening here is unreal.

I know of two couples (both of whom are at least of moderate means) that are in failed relationships. They have both divorced (one couple was never married). And yet, they continue to live in the same house and live separate lives. Because that is by far the most affordable option. That is simply crazy.

The tech industry has certainly changed San Francisco, and many people would say not for the better. Economic, cultural, and racial diversity are important to the lifeblood of a city.
Yeah, that is crazy. I am not saying that is a situation that isn't problematic. I'm just saying that the solution might not be "go back to the way things were." The changes you observe may be irreversible, and if they are, perhaps the best solution for those being displaced the most is an honest shot at starting over somewhere else.

I drive 30 minutes each way to work (compared to 10 minutes when we were renting). When we had the twins last year, we bought a house after looking at 70 potential houses. We were priced out of the area immediately near where I work, but we could have gotten a house 15 minutes away, but those houses were generally old, smaller and not in the best condition. We went another 15 minutes out, and got a house that was bigger and newer. That is a trade off that we made based on what we valued for our family. Would I like to be closer to work? You bet! But I don't view it as failure that needs to be corrected.